Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) was established in September 1997 to respond to the needs and challenges affecting youth and children in Malawi. YONECO registered with the National Youth Council of Malawi (1996) Act in 1998, Trustees Incorporation (1962) Act in 1999 and NGO Board (2000) Act in 2003. In October 2000, YONECO started to work on issues of women as demand driven activity following the need to respond to the child rehabilitation. YONECO has since grown to one of the very strong local NGOs that respond to matters of youth, women and children.
A self- reliant, healthy and resilient society that respects human rights and democratic values
YONECO is a non-governmental organization that is committed to empowering the youth, women and children; promoting good health, human rights and democracy; adapting and mitigating effects of climate change; and conducting research for evidence based programming and advocacy.
- To promote positive youth, women and child development through counselling, life skills, leadership and entrepreneurship ;
- To safeguard, promote and protect human rights with particular reference to the rights of youth, women and children;
- To conduct civic education on HIV/AIDS, human rights, gender, democracy, and good governance among the general population;
- To enhance youth, women and children participation in democratisation process and socio – economic development of the Nation;
- To provide social and economic support services for abused and victimised women and children at community level;
- To provide care and support to those affected and infected with HIV/AIDS including people living with HIV/AIDS and orphans;
- To provide networking and collaboration services locally and internationally on youth, women and children
YONECO currently has offices in seven (10) districts which include Chikwawa, Zomba, Lilongwe, Mangochi, Balaka, Ntcheu, Machinga, Nkhata Bay, Mchinji, Ntchisi and Rumphi. In these districts, YONECO has a minimum of 4 members of staff (1 District Manager, 2 Project Officers and 1 Resource Centre Manager).
YONECO also has projects in other districts that include; Chiladzulu, Mulanje, Phalombe as well as Likoma. YONECO therefore covers a total of 14 districts where we have work either as partners or as key implementers.