Malawi Government established the Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centres in an effort to support the destitute and children living and connected to the street, pursuent to the section 24 of CCPJ Act, the Ministry is mandate to place children in need of care and protection in place of safety.
Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) is a local NGO established in September 1997 and was registered with the Malawi Government (Trustees Incorporation (1962) Act in October 1999 and with NGO (2000) Act in November 2003. YONECO has its head office in Zomba and physical presence in the following districts: Rumphi, Nkhata Bay, Mchinji, Ntchisi, Ntcheu, Balaka, Mangochi, Machinga, Chikhwawa, Mulanje Lilongwe and Zomba. YONECO is also implementing various projects in the districts of Phalombe, Thyolo, Chiradzulu, Kasungu, Mzimba, Dowa, Chitipa, Mwanza and Nsanje.
2.0 YONECO – Ministry of Gender Partnerships
The Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare is in partnership with YONECO to support the Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centres following the successful partnership in the implementation of the Helpline Services in Malawi. The MOU was signed for the period 2016 – 2020.
3.0 Current Status of the Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centre
The MOU has been under implementation where both success and challenges have been registered, some of the notable bottlenecks to implementation of the MOU include lack of clear implementation guidelines for the social rehabilitation centre and reduced technical and financial support from the government. These have confused the operations of staff at the social rehabilitation..
- Need for the Development of the Strategic Plan for the Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centre
The Malawi Government (Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare) and Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) have agreed that the Strategic Plan for the Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centre is critical if the centre is going to provide the necessary services to the children and destitute in Malawi. The Strategic Plan will be a Blue Print of the Activities that will be used to implement the activities and assess the performance of the social rehabilitation. The strategic plan will also be used as a part of resource mobilisation tool for the people operating the centre.
3.0 Objectives of the Assignment
The overall objective of the consultancy is to develop a “Strategic Plan for the Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centres” for Malawi Government. The consultant will be expected to work with executive management of Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare (team composed of director of social welfare, Director of gender and Director of Child Affairs) and Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) to develop a five – year strategic plan for Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centres including indicators and measurement tools. The consultant will also be expected to advise Malawi Government and YONECO on potential funding for this kind of work.
4.0 Scope of the work
The development of Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centre Strategic Plan for Malawi Government will be led by external consultant in close coordination with senior management of the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare (Director of Child Affairs, Director of Social Welfare, Director of Gender and Director of Administration) and YONECO Executive Director and senior management team at YONECO which shall include the Media and Communications Manager, Programme Manager, Media, Advocacy and Networking Officer and Manager, Institutional Development. The consultant will coordinate and collaborate with key partners and collaborators for this purpose. The consultant team will be responsible for undertaking following tasks:
- Coordination with management of the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare and YONECO senior management team at YONECO
- Conduct consultation with stakeholders in the social rehabilitation and transit centre which include government departments, Lilongwe City and District Councils, business community, vendors and street children
- Conduct consultation with YONECO and Government workers at the social rehabilitation centres
- Produce and present a consultation and situation analysis report to Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare
- Facilitating workshop to validate the validate the findings on the social rehabilitation and transit centres and provide a space for brainstorming on the aspects of the strategies to develop the strategic plan
- Drafting a complete strategic plan for the social rehabilitation and transit centre outlining clear objectives, target activities, allies, deliverables and indicators, as well as an implementation plan for the first 2 years and advise on funding opportunities for such work;
- Share the draft strategic plan and implementation plan with stakeholders and facilitate a workshop to refine the strategy;
- Prepare final Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centre Strategy of Malawi Government including comments raised in the workshop.
5.0 Key qualification, experience and skills of the consultant
The candidate should possess the following skills and competencies:
- At least post graduate degree in a public health, social science field
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of issues of youth, health and children inequities in Malawi
- Extensive work experience and proven record in advocacy, policy, campaign, strategic management,
- Demonstrate experience of having undertaken similar assignments
- Good analytical and documentation/report writing skills
- Good communication and facilitation skills
- Excellent command of oral and written English
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender issue
6.0 Duration of task completion
The assignment is estimated to commence with no more than 12 days and to be completed by 20 June 2019
7.0 Key deliverables
All deliverables will be submitted to the YONECO with copies to Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare on date as mutually agreed during the inception meeting. The reports will be reviewed jointly by YONECO and Ministry team. All draft documents will be submitted as soft copies while the final products will be submitted as a soft copy and three hard copies.
The consultant should submit following key deliverables:
- Inception report: Outlining details of activities with proposed methodology and timeline/ delivery dates
· Schedule of workshop and session plan
· Report on the consultative work on the Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centres
- Lilongwe Social Rehabilitation and Transit Centre Strategic Plan (e – copy and hard copy)
8.0 Procedure for submission of expression of interest
Interested consultants should submit below mentioned documents by 5 pm on Friday, May 10, 2019.
- An updated CV (Maximum 3 pages)
- An application letter including remuneration requirements (daily rate) and contact information for three work- related referees
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The Executive Director,
Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO),
C/o Youth Leadership Development Centre,
Along Zomba Lilongwe Road,
Opposite Muslim High School,
Next to Calvary Church,
P.O. Box 471,
Tel: +265 1 526 199,
+265 88208 86 43
+265 88208 86 44
Fax: +265 1 525 674