Vacancy: Grants Management and Compliance Coordinator
Work Location: Zomba, Malawi
Position Start date: As soon as possible.
Youth Net and Counselling (YONECO) is a non-governmental organisation that that seeks a self – reliant, healthy, empowered, resilient, responsible, and inclusive society that respects democratic values and principles. YONECO is committed to empowering youth, women and children, promoting good health, human rights and democratic culture, adapting and mitigating the impact of climate change and conducting research for evidence-based programming and advocacy. YONECO works with both local and international NGOs and donors, government departments and Community based organizations. YONECO has programmes and projects in Zomba, Mchinji, Ntchisi, Mulanje, Thyolo, Phalombe, Chiradzulu, Mangochi, Machinga, Balaka, Ntcheu, Nkhata Bay and Rumphi. YONECO also has national programmes like the first ever child helpline in Malawi for the protection and promotion of child rights. YONECO now invites applications from suitably qualified, dynamic and experienced persons to the fill the following positions which exist at YONECO Head Office in Zomba
YONECO is seeking to recruit a proactive and flexible Grants Management and Compliance Coordinator to provide guidance, advice, and support to YONECO’s programmes in relation to grants management, accounting and to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures including YONECO’s Sub Granting Policies and Systems and donor requirements.
Key Results Areas
- Audit results confirming compliances in all areas of YONECOs finance and grants management
- Institutional and programme budgets are inconformity to international and local regulatory systems and approaches
- Maintain compliance to statutory regulations and laws and internal donor requirements for the finance management
- Timely financial reports (donor and internal) to inform management of decisions that would enhance coordination
- Sub grantees are supported to develop internal systems and procedures for effective programme delivery
The ideal candidate has at least six years’ professional experience with focus on international development, project management, fundraising or financial management.
As part of the Programme Management, Fundraising and Resource Mobilizations and Accounting team and in close coordination with senior management, programme support managers, project coordinators and finance assistant, the Grants Management and Compliance Officer will promote practices to improve grant management and compliance across all YONECO programmes from inception to grant contract closure in accordance with grant agreements and other appropriate protocols. S.he will also help to strengthen the link between financial and programme management.
Working under the supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager, the Grants Management and Compliance Coordinator’s tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Provide guidance, advice and support to programmes on grant management and compliance with donor and internal requirements at all stages of the grant cycle, including related to procurement, sub-granting, budget flexibility, reporting, audit as well as visibility and communications.
- Act as the central focal point in the Programme Management and senior managers for maintaining the central grant management system and grant records, including ensuring that all grants and contractual documents are appropriately archived.
- Review grant contracts, produce related Project Registration Forms in coordination with YONECO’s programmes
- Ensure that timely and complete financial and narrative reports are submitted including providing advice from a grant compliance perspective, on programme narrative reports before submission to donors, and supporting programmes to improve the quality of their financial reports ensuring that these are consistent with narrative reports.
- In coordination with Programme Managers support the financial tracking of instalments (i.e fund requests to donors), record the payments received and acknowledge receipt of donor disbursements where appropriate.
- Ensure that grants are closed in consultation with the programmes and the Finance department and provide guidance to programmes for donor audits
- Review and/or consult on program reports that have been created by the Grants Budget/Program Manager for submission to the granting authority according to grant guideline schedules
- Assist the Finance and Administration Manager in assuring that expenditures support program objectives and that budgets submitted are consistent with original grant application.
- Review and/or help consult on the coordination of all applicable finance program reports for sponsored programs and ensure the timely submission thereof.
- Support the Finance and Administration Manager and Partnerships and Resource Mobilisation Coordinator in proposal development processes including advising on the preparation of budgets for funding proposals to ensure alignment with organizational and donor requirements.
- Advise on establishment and management of partnerships, including on the use of appropriate procedures for partners’ identification and due diligence assessment, partnership agreements and management of sub-grants.
- Manage and update accounts on donors’ online platforms (such as for US government and EU-funded projects)
- Support in enhancing public profiles and image of the institution and its products at every level of development
- Obtain and collate feedback from donors and programmes on grants management and compliance issues with a view to improving grant management by identifying challenges, risks and lessons learnt.
- Support the strengthening and use of YONECO procedures and tools in grant management and donor compliance and help to develop internal capacity where needed.
- Working closely with the Research, Monitoring, Evaluation, Documentation and Learning (MEL) Manager, contribute to effective and timely implementation of project cycle management processes and tools across the organization.
- In liaison with the RMELD Manager and Fundraising and Resource Mobilisation Coordinator, contribute to the development of organizational and programme fundraising proposals and strategies.
- Carry out other, appropriate responsibilities to support the Programme Management & Institutional Development and Suitability Unit.
The successful candidate will have:
A University degree in Finance with bias towards audit and compliance
- At least six years of work experience, with focus on project management, fundraising or financial management.
- Demonstrated understanding of grants management, experience in grant compliance processes and project management including developing budgets.
- At least five years of experience in implementing donor funded projects (preferably in the field) including experience working with donor rules and guidelines.
- At least three years of experience in contributing to proposal development.
- Knowledge of legal and human rights issues would be a distinct advantage.
- Strong written and verbal communication in English, knowledge of other languages will be an advantage.
- Proven competency in budget development and management
- Strong Excel skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and report-writing ability.
- Excellent communication skills, mediation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and cross-regional teams.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements, to work with teams in different time zones, and to work remotely in the long term.
YONECO is an equal opportunities employer and offers a competitive salary package.
APPLICATIONS should be addressed with your resume (maximum two pages), a cover letter (maximum two pages), and the names of at least two references:
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Grants Management and Compliance Officer
The deadline for applications is August 15, 2022
Please appreciate that due to the volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. YONECO is unable to respond to phone enquiries.